Rolex… It’s said, necessity is the mother of all invention, whom then shall we call the father of invention? Shall we assume it is scarcity or innovation? Well, as we await the results from the DNA tests of who the true father of invention is, we may as well celebrate one of their newborns –the rolex!
If one was put to task to name the staple food of a university student or a Ugandan street hustler, then it would definitely be a rolex. Maybe we can attribute this to the fact that the ever succulent delicacy is in not many words addictive or perhaps simply because the meal is pocket friendly and yet a whole one at that. That much we’ll never know for sure but if you have tasted one then you will not hesitate to agree with me that the explosion of juices and aromas in a mouth full of rolex is quite heavenly. And a joy to behold.
Never mind the lacking hygiene standards of the average rolex vendor, the world has accepted the rolex as and where it appears. In the evenings and early in the morning, you will see cues of anxious loyal customers trying to get a quick fix. Be it for breakfast, dinner or simply an impulsive craving in the middle of the night, you can always be guaranteed of a hot rolex at a stand at any given time of day for you could easily mistake these stands for land marks in the capital of Uganda.
Thanks to Uganda’s robust and flourishing tourism industry, this street food has smuggled its way onto CNN and fast food stores from New York all the way up to Copenhagen. Have you tasted one?
From a local cheap street snack, Rolex is now served at most eat outs…The popular street food was launched officially
and is now on the international fast food menu across the globe…
HOW TO MAKE A ROLEX
To make a Ugandan rolex all you require is good appetite, a chapatti (or more), a pair of eggs (or more), cooking oil, fresh green pepper, fresh tomatoes, fresh onions, fresh carrots, fresh cabbage and table salt. Plus a hot pan of course.
HOW TO PREPARE ROLEX:
• Beat 2 eggs in cup or bowl (or more if you intend to make more rolexes or a heavier one)
• Slice 1/2 an onion into the scrambled eggs and beat
• Grate some carrots and slice some fine pieces of fresh green pepper into the mixture
• At this point you may add the tomatoes or later when serving
• Pre heat the frying pan with some oil(a teaspoon or two)
• Pour mixture onto hot pan and flip until omelet turns brown
• Place the ready chapatti onto the omelet and press a little for the aroma’s to blend
• Gently lift the rolex off the hot pan, sprinkle some diced cabbages on it then roll it up
HOW TO SERVE ROLEX:
• It’s best served hot with an extra pinch of salt
• Most prefer the tomatoes, cabbage & onions fresh instead of frying them in the omelet
~By Kidron Googo