Fish in Uganda is one of the best food delicacies anyone can enjoy. It comes in all forms that is to say, whole, fillets as well as fresh and smoked.
Tilapia and Nile perch are some of the common ones, they serve them at home, or even restaurants.
People in areas near fresh water bodies mostly eat fish. However, they also sell in other markets around the country.
Preparing easy healthy fish recipes may seem a little hard. It has a number of nutritional values which needn’t be removed when cooking.
Easy fish recipes
It is also important to cut the fish into pieces or fillet especially for stew. Filleting helps remove bones thus less chances of swallowing them while eating.
While preparing fish dishes for dinner, whether smoked or fresh, these are some of the ingredients one can use;
- green paper,
- curry powder,
- carrots as well as lime/lemon. Lemon always helps to give the stew a nice aroma.
Fish recipes Tilapia
A simple step by step Fried fish recipes helps come up with the best stew. These are the steps one has to take
- Cut and chop the onions, garlic, green paper, tomatoes, and carrots.
- Heat the oil till ready in a sizable saucepan.
- Fry the onions until they turn golden. Add the garlic and green pepper and continue frying for a minute or two.
- Then add the tomatoes as well as a pinch of salt and some curry powder. Simmer with cover until the tomatoes are almost ready.
- After carefully washing the fish, add it to the saucepan and add water to cover all the fish.
- Carefully stir to mix the ingredients.
- Cook for about 30 minutes with moderate heat.
This fresh fish recipes can be served with Matooke (plantain), rice, sweet or Irish Potatoes as well as Posho (Maize flour)
For the smoked fish, the same step by step procedure can be followed. However, the time it takes to cook smoked fish is less than that of fresh fish. This is because it is pre-cooked due to the smoking.
Other Fish popular fish recipes are Chinese fish recipes, Baked fish dinner recipes and Indian fish recipes.